ICAEW PTX
Principals of Tax


This certificate level course will enable students to understand the general objectives of taxation and to calculate income tax, national insurance contributions, capital gains tax, corporation tax and VAT in straightforward scenarios.

On completion of this course students will be able to:

  • explain the general objectives of taxation, the influences upon the UK system of taxation, the different types of tax in the UK and recognise the ethical issues arising in the course of performing tax work;
  • identify the obligations the UK system of taxation imposes on taxpayers and the implications of non-compliance;
  • calculate the amount of income tax owed by or owed to individuals and the amount of national insurance payable;
  • calculate the amount of capital gains tax payable by individuals and the chargeable gains subject to corporation tax;
  • calculate the amount of corporation tax payable by companies; and
  • calculate the amount of VAT owed by or owed to businesses.

Method of assessment

The Principles of Taxation module is assessed by a 1.5 hour computer-based exam. 20% of the marks are allocated from two scenario-based questions. These will each cover a single syllabus area: income tax and NIC, and corporation tax. The remaining 80% of the marks are from 40 multiple choice, multi-part multiple choice, multiple response or numeric entry questions. The pass mark is 55%.

See ICAEW website for detailed syllabus

 

Course Information

Each ICAEW Certificate classroom course will comprise an integrated teaching and revision phase culminating in a timed mock exam. It will be offered as a combination of weekday and weekend.

All course materials will be provided, including ICAEW mandatory materials and Vale FT course notes.

Classroom Course
  • Integrated Teaching and Revision: 4 days
  • Mock: invigilated & marked with feedback
Book